Skip to main content

Begin The Beguine - Ella fitzgerald - And now when I hear people curse the chance that was wasted




Today I am reminded that you never know what is around the corner.  In the last few hours I have had some heavy working of my lungs. I could feel a nightmare wrongness pervading every inch of my body, and now I live this nightmare.  My eyes heavy with tears, as I hope this is a dream. It's not, it is my reality. 

As my heart breaks at the loss of a grand opportunity. As I  return from the hub that was calle Fucar where it really all began in so many ways, and I arrive home in La Latina with a song locked in my head. 

Perhaps this song is here because of my old friend Tony from Tony's bar, close to Fucar, where so many magical moments began. I think it's just a mix of it all, what a way to end. 

The two lines that strike me today are - "And now when I hear people curse the chance that was wasted", and the harder to digest "Let the love that was once a fire remain an ember". 

I started a fire, and just as spark ignited the wind changed and blew it out. Today, I am able to sympathize with this song and sense the true Cole Porter essence. I cannot play Ella's version enough, she helps to calm my storm. 


When they begin the beguine
It brings back the sound of music so tender,
It brings back a night of tropical splendor,
It brings back a memory ever green.
I'm with you once more under the stars,
And down by the shore an orchestra's playing
And even the palms seem to be swaying
When they begin the beguine.
To live it again is past all endeavor,
Except when that tune clutches my heart,
And there we are, swearing to love forever,
And promising never, never to part.
What moments divine, what rapture serene,
Till clouds came along to disperse the joys we had tasted,
And now when I hear people curse the chance that was wasted,
I know but too well what they mean;
So don't let them begin the beguine
Let the love that was once a fire remain an ember;
Let it sleep like the dead desire I only remember
When they begin the beguine.
Oh yes, let them begin the beguine, make them play
Till the stars that were there before return above you,
Till you whisper to me once more,
Darling, I love you!
And we suddenly know What heaven we're in,
When they begin the beguine

Good night Marcela. X