Skip to main content

Juan was part of the plan - Metro Plex Atkins!

It was a hot evening in Austria, and I was attending the best festival in Graz. The festival was in full swing, with the crowd dancing to the beats of various techno legends. That's when I saw him, Juan Atkins, one of the godfathers of techno, making his way backstage.

I could believe my luck when I saw him, and shortly after we were talking about Eastern bloc and Manchester. As we chatted, I couldn't help but notice his eyes on the girls backstage, he was looking for new encounters with the rich bounty of European ladies in the zone. Despite the bustling environment, Juan was kind enough to take the time to chat with me about music and share some stories, we also did a 1 on 1 photo shoot together, but I never saw the photos from this moment. It is always interesting meeting your idols, and those who inspired me and James Leyland Kirby so long ago.

As the night went on, we made our way to the main stage to catch his set. The crowd was wild with excitement, and the energy in the air was electric. Juan's music was solid Detroit techno for 30% of the mix, moving to harder 909 for another 30% then ending as it only could as the BPM worked up, getting faster towards drum and bass.

I was grateful to be sharing the event with Marcela who stands with me, and Juan in the photo. She was gracious and beautiful, and it was a wonderful moment to remember. Together, we danced to the music and celebrated the power of techno, electronica and Europe.

Meeting Juan Atkins was an experience I'll never forget. I remain in awe of his contributions to music and grateful for the opportunity to have met him. We were very much going with the flow.......





Time 

 

Tomorrow is a brand new day.